Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Mozilla Thunderbird

3.0 stars

"Having a problem with tiny fonts displayed."

March 10, 2013  |   By djeffels

Version: Mozilla Thunderbird 17.0.3

Pros

Simple Menus.

Cons

Small font until I find the solution.

Summary

I like it.

Reply to this review

Was this review helpful? (0) (0)

3.0 stars

"Would be great if it weren't so buggy"

March 9, 2013  |   By SavvyEd

Version: Mozilla Thunderbird 17.0.3

Pros

Consolidates all my gmail accounts into one place

Cons

Buggy
Freezes during compose
Seems to affect other programs while it's open

Summary

I like the idea of Thunderbird so much that I keep going back to it, hoping the bugs have shaken out. I have five separate email accounts I use for work, and it's nice to have them all in one place. However, the program is just too buggy to be useful. I spend a lot of time waiting for it to recover from freezing up while I compose, and other programs have problems while I have it open, too. You should try it out, though. The good may outweigh the bad for you.

Reply to this review

Was this review helpful? (0) (0)

5.0 stars

"No alternatives"

February 21, 2013  |   By sfmu5

Version: Mozilla Thunderbird 17.0.3

Pros

Fast, excellent IMAP client.

Cons

Minor things.
Why is default index order chronological, not reverse ditto?
Search comes fixed as excerpts, I'd like it to come as a list.
In comparison, every client will have something you'd like differently.

Summary

I am IT solution provider, with 400+ users.

I use Thunderbird+IMAP for my own mail. For Windows it is simply the best there is. Or rather, I have tried many, though the last year or so, Thunderbird has given me no reason to spend the time.

Unfortunately, almost all my served users use must use Outlook. Corp. decision. Is just on the edge of usable/unusable (for IMAP only - POP and Exchange is fine). Slow, unpredictable behavior, temporarily hangs.

So, those without Exchange is forced to run POP, with the well-known limitations this protocol have.

I have yet to see any real competitor to Thunderbird+IMAP on Windows.

Reply to this review

Was this review helpful? (0) (0)

5.0 stars

"Great feature set and stability"

February 10, 2013  |   By genghizkhan91

Version: Mozilla Thunderbird 17.0.2

Pros

Very very fast compared to Outlook 2013, supports chat and has the extensibility only a Mozilla product (or Google Chrome) can provide. The interface is no-nonsense and useful to the extreme.

Cons

No Exchange Support. Also, while scanning your Google account (dunno about other IMAP accounts), if it finds tens of thousands of emails, it'll take a long while to download all of them for offline viewing (as the default options are set to do). It'll also repeatedly download these mails. Hence, while setting up the account, it is advisable to click manual config > advanced config and set the number of mails to synchronize at around 1000 or so, or for the last 15 days.

Summary

The product is a must-have for people who need a desktop email client. Competitors are either immature (e.g. Postbox) or very bloated and slow (e.g. Microsoft Outlook). The IM integration alone sets it apart from the other clients I've tried, and while people do like a dedicated IM client like Pidgin or Digsby, I prefer having all my communication in one program, which remains light and extensible according to my preferences. Thunderbird delivers.

Reply to this review

Was this review helpful? (0) (0)

5.0 stars

"Its an excellent email client"

December 24, 2012  |   By thepanda456

Version: Mozilla Thunderbird 17.0

Pros

it is very fast and non-buggy
A must have for everyone
I wonder why CNET's editors have put it on 3rd Rank. It should be placed on first

Cons

none at all

Reply to this review

Was this review helpful? (0) (0)

5.0 stars

"really like it"

December 16, 2012  |   By countrynu

Version: Mozilla Thunderbird 17.0

Pros

Have used Thunderbird for a long time and have been very happy with no problems receiving or sent pic

Cons

I have a email that reads 12/31/1969 4:00 P.M.there is nothing there other then that date and time cant get rid of it

Summary

it is a good email server I wish use it until something better comes around

Reply to this review

Was this review helpful? (0) (0)

4.0 stars

"Does exactly what I want it to do."

December 6, 2012  |   By RedWidow1

Version: Mozilla Thunderbird 17.0

Pros

Stationery, downloadable so you mail stays on your computer and not in cyberspace.

Cons

Doesn't integrate with Norton products for email scanning or spam controls.

Reply to this review

Was this review helpful? (1) (0)

2.0 stars

"V17 has some kind of style problem"

November 20, 2012  |   By kimada17

Version: Mozilla Thunderbird 16.0.2

Pros

- I've been using it for years so I'm used to it.
- It's easy to set up accounts for all the services I use.

Cons

Can't seem to use the same Windows style I'm using.

Summary

I just got a notice today of an upgrade to version 17. Went ahead and installed it, and now suddenly the interface looks different; apparently it is not using the Windows style I have set up and I can't find a way to change it either in the Menu or Options. This may be a bug, but trying to find a place on Mozilla's huge website to report it or even ask about it just takes too long so I went back to V16, and the style has returned. With these frequent and unpredictable updates (version *17*?) I really wish there was a decent alternative...

Reply to this review

Was this review helpful? (1) (0)

2.0 stars

"looks promising, fails miserably"

November 4, 2012  |   By sodaphine

Version: Mozilla Thunderbird 16.0.2

Pros

looks fab
nice interface
mostly easy to use

Cons

lost the very first email someone else sent to me. Gone. Did some online research, and it's a known issue with massive work-arounds that are seriously not worth the risk or effort.

Simple stuff is made way too complicated (like formatting a signature - basic task that required googling and a work around again)

Summary

If you like to dabble in free software, and don't mind risking losing some mail here and there, go for it.
If you actually need a reliable mail program, look elsewhere. Thunderbird has failed me on day one, first email! So disappointed as I'd come to really respect Mozilla. Other bugs could be overlooked, but losing mail just can't.

Reply to this review Read reply (1)

Was this review helpful? (3) (0)

1.0 stars

"could not figure out how to import from WLM"

November 3, 2012  |   By herbmelrose

Version: Mozilla Thunderbird 16.0.2

Pros

none that i encountered

Cons

Apparently needed 3rd-party add-on to import from WLM. Installed it. "Import everything" got to "Import from" panel with no choices! Clicking "Next" on that panel did nothing. Tried other "import" options. Instructions were confusing. Tried something and got "script stopped running" error panel.

Summary

Not worth more of my time. Uninstalled after one hour and went back to WLM.

Reply to this review

Was this review helpful? (1) (0)


From CNET. Visit Amazon Store here

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | cheap international calls